Sunday, July 27, 2014

2 Solid Tactics to Get Things That May Seem WAY Out of Reach

Six Degrees of Separation is the theory that everyone and everything is six or fewer steps away by way of introduction, from any other person in the world.
Quite simply, the people around you can lessen the degrees of separation between you and what you want and you can do the same for them. This is an enormously effective way to make progress in your life and career.  The most successful people in the world know this and do this all the time. And you don't have to be some gregarious networking whiz to use this method. 

If you're willing to put yourself out there and share what you're looking for, it will begin to happen naturally. I first succeeded with it before I knew it was a recognized principle of success.

In high school and college, all I wanted to do was travel, in particular to go to England. And since this was something I wanted very badly, with very little encouragement (i.e. usually none) I'd tell people that was my aim. A classmate my Sophomore year had a uncle who owned a summer English language camp outside of London and that introduction resulted in me spending the next three summers working at that camp and happily traipsing up to London on my days off. I was in heaven.  
I went from having no connections and not even daring to imagine living and working overseas to having a regular job in my dream location there every summer through college.
image
Queen's Day in Amsterdam
I did the same thing when I got a job with an international company after college. I still had the desire to live and work overseas (and now even had overseas work experience) and I made that goal known to my peers, colleague, boss, etc. and without my asking them,  anytime anyone heard about an opportunity overseas or a contact, they would let me know. Within 6 months of becoming eligible, I was living in Amsterdam working at the company's international headquarters.

#1 Begin to see that people in a new light 

image
Realize that just about everyone has the potential to link you to a person or resource that can make a big difference in your life or career, and likewise, you may have connections that could put them dramatically closer to their goals.

This summer, I was in Edmonton, Alberta to speak at TEDx. Most of volunteers organizing the event were students at the University of Alberta.  A young man named Goran shared with me that he wanted to work with the International Olympic Committee.  Immediately,  I thought of a friend, Lynn,  who was involved in organizing the Summer Olympics in London and would certainly know someone from the IOC. I told Goran "I know someone you could talk to who might be able to connect you with someone at the IOC." We exchanged information. 

Follow-up is critical ... 

Because getting help from strangers is not something a lot of people are comfortable with, unless we are in dire straights, I knew from experience that the chance that Goran would actually follow up with me was about 30%. Many of us, especially at the beginning of our careers aren't comfortable asking for help or pursuing leads. We don't want to bother people, etc. when the fact is most people enjoy helping others and connecting people for their mutual benefit.

It's the Universal Law of Compensation. You get what you give.

About a week later Goran did follow up with me.  It showed me he was serious about going after what he wanted, so now I'm  feeling even better about introducing him to my friend, because he's shown that he's someone who's not afraid to go for it. After an email introduction, they were in contact. As it turns out my friend Lynn, had plenty of IOC contacts.

Your greatest successes will often come from the small connections from people you barely know who just wanted to do a good turn and help someone.  

image

#2 Share your goals, hopes and dreams with people and ask other people about theirs

Sometimes it happens organically, you say you have an interest or need something and someone provides you with just the thing you need. Serendipity.

But many times people don't speak up and if they speak up they don't follow up.


Similar things inspire us all. We love to see people with a fire in their belly for their dreams and we love to hear about people going for what they want, so don't be afraid to put what you really want out there and invite other people to do the same. 

Try it here. If you could get one connection what would it be, to who or what?  

Prove it to yourself. This week, make a concentrated effort to try and close the degrees of separation between yourself and anything, and see what happens.  
Let me know how it goes.

Make your move,
Courtney Kirschbaum, 
Connect with her next move on FacebookTwitter and YouTube or on our website
image
 image



No comments:

Post a Comment